Five Things You NEED to Know About Tires
1) Size and fit matter more than anything else
Buying the right size is crucial – the wrong fit can cause a multitude of problems. You know the old saying, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!” Having the wrong size tires on your vehicle can cause uneven wear, bad alignment and even suspension issues. It’s in your (and your wallet’s!) best interest to get the right tires for your vehicle and your needs.
2) You’ve got a choice in “style”
You’ve heard about all-season tires, winter tires, and summer tires – but why are there so many choices?
- Summer tires are designed with fewer grooves than other tires, which allows for a higher amount of grip on the road in typical summer conditions. They’re dangerous to drive on in icy conditions but are great on dry smooth roads and handle well when it rains.
- The rubber compound in winters does not harden like summer tires when the temperature dips. Having that rubber stay supple gives you the handling and control you need to stay safe on the roads. They also tend to last longer than seasonal tires, since you’re only driving on them for a few months at a time!
- All-Season tires are a compromise option between the seasonal tires. They give you decent traction in winter conditions but won’t give quite the same amount of control as winter tires. They give a fairly smooth ride in the summer, but again can’t give the grip and comfort of a true summer tire.
3) Quality matters for comfort and longevity
The tires on your car are like the shoes on your feet – choosing the right ones will allow you to be comfortable as you go about your day. As you consider buying new tires for your vehicle, ArborMotion can make recommendations that will give you the best quality for the longest life and will match your budgetary needs. You deserve to be comfortable as you motor through your day and the tires on your car will make a difference!
4) Patching a damaged tire is a “solution”, but only sometimes
When it comes to tire damage, there are a few things you need to assess to determine if a patch-plug is the right way to go. Check out this handy list for the full rundown of when a damaged tire can be repaired. Ultimately, a patch-plug is the only fix for a punctured tire, provided it can truly be repaired. A standard plug that you can buy at an auto supply store is good enough to get you to a repair shop but shouldn’t be driven on at high speeds or for long distances.
5) Pay attention to tread depth
Your tread depth is your visual indication of the life left in your tires. You may be familiar with the “penny test”: place a penny in the most shallowest tread groove with Lincoln’s head facing down. If you can see the top of his head, you need new tires! Remember from item three that summer, winter, and all-season tires have different tread depths. If you are one of the many customers of ArborMotion who enjoys having the best handling, comfort, and control by opting for seasonal tires, we’ll inspect your tires as you swap out seasonally and let you know when it’s time to purchase new tires.
Schedule Service on Your Domestic, Asian or European Vehicle Today!
To learn more about choosing the right tires for your vehicle, European auto repair technicians at ArborMotion are here for you! Bring your vehicle to ArborMotion and we’ll have it running in tip-top shape in no time! At ArborMotion, we care about your safety! No question is too big or small. Call ArborMotion at 734-761-1088 to schedule your appointment today!